Sunday, June 3, 2012

Need a daily dose of GOOD sleep


So I've been dealing with insomnia for a couple of years or so, I don't know where it originally came from but it's quite annoying. Either I can't fall asleep until really late at night or I'll fall asleep at a reasonable time but awaken the middle of the night. *Sigh* sometimes I can't win.

I do know that when laying down on my bed I start to think about my day or I'll start thinking about what I'm going to do the next day or two or three down the road, which can be bothersome because my mind starts to race.

I've seen remedies to help with insomnia like drinking chamomile tea, warm milk or eating turkey because it has Tryptophan which apparently causes sleepiness or relaxation. Trying those remedies took a little longer for me to fall asleep. Experts say don't take sleeping pills because it doesn't produce Rapid Eye Movement (REM) which the body needs to regenerate.

So I've read somewhere on a medical site that Melatonin is good to take because it's natural and the brain produces Melatonin anyway, so I said why not? I tried it and it took about 30 - 45 minutes to kick in. The only downfall for taking Melatonin is there are side effects like having scary nightmares and residual drowsiness. I'm sure there are more side effects but I personally rather fall asleep like a normal person.

No comments:

Post a Comment