Friday, September 6, 2013

When Is Texting Too Much?


When is texting too much? I ask that question because I notice that some of my friends constantly like to text me instead of just calling and having a general conversation. Sure texting has it's purposes like; when you are at work and can't talk on the phone, at a mechanic's shop, waiting in line somewhere etc. but to text me where to meet to hang out, asking for detail directions or want to know my entire life; that's more like a phone call type of conversation not text messaging. I feel like some people can't have a interpersonal conversation on the phone or in person anymore.

Now people send break up text, proposal text, ask out on a date text. Personally I think technology is taking away that interpersonal connection that we used to have. I'm more of a in-person type of person rather than the text messaging all the time. If not in person then phone conversation is fine too, I can hear the person's emotion through their voice.

I think texting is too much if you are only communicating through text messaging and I mean the only means of communicating. If you can't pick up the phone once in a while and speak to someone then you may have a problem. Remember, we didn't have text messaging in the '90s or early 2000s so people actually spoke to each other face-to-face or on the telephone to communicate. We need to have that interpersonal connection back again.



Source:
Image: http://cultech.library.cornell.edu/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment